The question we’re all asking is how are we going to survive these tumultuous times? The answer is we are ALL in this together and we will survive this journey together. We may be mandated to “shelter in place” but there are many things we can do to make the best use of our time being quarantined.
I put a list together of Shelter in Place Tips with the intent of providing people with a way of feeling in control of a situation that is unprecedented, unpredictable and anxiety-producing.
There are many things we don’t have control over but the one thing we do have control over is how we cope during these uncertain and unpredictable times. Below is a list of shelter in place tips.
- Daily or weekly read quotes that give you a sense of calm and control
- Be nurturing, loving, kind and compassionate with yourself, family, friends, neighbors, and strangers daily
- Make a conscious effort to take a time out and do one nice thing for yourself, family, friend, neighbor or a stranger daily
- Keep a gratitude journal on how you’re coping with this situation
- Keep a family journal of how you’re coping as a family
- Keep a self – reflection journal – how this situation is impacting you as a person – how it’s making you a stronger, self – efficient, better person
- Be playful – play board games, puzzles, card games, dominos, Lego’s, dice etc.
- Play interactive games as a family – charades, musical chairs, twister, Simon Says, scrabble, scavenger hunts etc.
- Make a list and watch movies that make you smile, laugh, cry, touch your soul
- Call a friend, a neighbor, a long – distant family member or friend, someone you have been out of touch with but think about often
- Sign up for online courses of personal and/or professional interest
- Work on unfinished projects – writing your memoir, putting together a collage, cleaning out the closets, garage, downsizing etc.
- Schedule weekly or daily video chats – communicate via internet – zoom, skype, facetime
- Work in the garden
- Start an art project or engage in a hobby you can work on from home
- Draw, paint, write for fun and creativity
- Post inspirational and positive messages on social media
If you need dementia caregiver support, please join my dementia support group or schedule your FREE 15-minute consultation.
Connect with Tami
Get information, guidance, and support delivered to your inbox each month.